Looking for an opportunity to advance your career in consultancy within a supportive environment?
As a dynamic and growing business, we are looking for self-motivated and positive-minded Senior Ecologists to join our friendly teams in one of our five offices across the UK. The successful applicants will be involved in all areas of our work, supporting clients in vast range of different sectors. Responsibilities include co-ordinating and undertaking protected species surveys and mitigation projects, advising clients of constraints and survey requirements, preparing ecology chapters for Environmental Impact Assessments, and managing a team of ecologists to find commercially efficient and cost-effective project solutions.
This position could provide a great opportunity to lead and deliver complex contracts and support more junior staff, draft high quality reports and review technical work, as well as support clients and their design teams by identifying solutions to their problems. We are keen to continue to grow our business, so you will play an important part in the delivery of our business development strategy by costing and tendering for work and finding new ways for the business to diversify and thrive.
We have fixed term and permanent roles available in several of our well-appointed offices across the UK and the successful candidates will be based from one of these, however, the project-based nature of our work means that in order to successfully carry out contracts there will be a requirement for travel, overnight stays and periods of working away from home.
To be considered for the role, you will:
- Hold an appropriate degree qualification;
- Have a minimum of 5 years’ relevant work experience;
- Have excellent knowledge of UK and relevant European environmental legislation;
- Have excellent fieldwork and report writing skills including protected species surveys, EPSM applications, ES chapters and ecological management plans;
- Be comfortable with and have experience in attending meetings and liaising with clients, contractors, sub-contractors and third-party stakeholders;
- Be able to critically review your own work and a minimum 2 years’ experience of reviewing others’ work;
- Be competent in the survey of and mitigation for one or more of the following key protected species: bats, badgers, birds, dormice, great crested newts, reptiles, and water voles;
- Hold an EPS and/or conservation licence for one or more of the above species groups;
- Have up to date knowledge of, and familiarity with, survey guidance for a range of protected species;
- Demonstrate proven project and staff management experience;
- Have good excellent organizational skills and an ability to resource work;
- Be able to manage own workload, be proactive in managing projects and be able to delegate to and provide support to junior staff as appropriate;
- Be proficient in customer service and able to deliver and lead training events and workshops, both internally to TEC and externally to clients and other stakeholders;
- Hold full membership of the Chartered Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management (CIEEM);
- Be proactive, a self-starter and able to use own initiative when appropriate;
- Have a full clean UK driving licence;
- Be eligible to work within the UK.
We also have a specific requirement for an experienced ecologist with experience in high level reptile mitigation.
Applications are particularly welcome from ecologists who have botany as a specialism and are, or could be certified at FISC level 4 or above.
The Ecology Consultancy & The Temple Group
The Ecology Consultancy with Temple and Arbeco form The Temple Group.
The Temple Group is one of the UK’s leading independent infrastructure and property consultancies, specialising in environment, ecology, arboriculture, planning and sustainability. Using our extensive experience and breadth of skills, we provide a bespoke professional service to our clients so that they can make the right decisions and achieve the best outcomes. We have over 20 years’ experience of providing our expertise on a wide range of projects and aim to build strong relationships with our clients who value our ethical approach.
For further details on the three businesses that make-up The Temple Group see: Ecology Consultancy – www.ecologyconsultancy.co.uk ; Temple – www.templegroup.co.uk; Arbeco – www.arbeco.co.uk .
The company is defined by our unique culture – one that puts people at the core of everything we do. We strive to create a friendly and supportive working environment, encouraging staff to take advantage of every opportunity for professional development and assisting them in their career progression. Joining The Ecology Consultancy and The Temple Group is a chance to be part of a close-knit, supportive and driven team that really cares about what they do and prides itself on the quality of their work.
What’s in it for you?
- Competitive salary on a scale commensurate with experience (plus £2,000 for London Weighting if applicable);
- TOIL (time off in lieu) policy and flexible approach to working hours to ensure a healthy work-life balance.
- 26 days annual leave (& bank holidays) plus an additional day for each year of service up to 29 days
- Enhanced maternity pay;
- Opportunities for career development and training;
- Auto enrolment pension scheme (after 3 months’ service);
- Cycle to work scheme;
- Socials, games nights and volunteering days through our staff engagement and development initiative;
- Fun, friendly, and forward-thinking co-workers;
- A dog-friendly office.
If this is the role for you: Please apply by emailing your CV and a covering letter to: email@example.com.