The Opportunity – Strategic Bid Manager, London
The Ecology Consultancy was established in 1999 and is now one of the largest dedicated consultancies managed by ecologists in the country. We are passionate about what we do and our staff enjoy working in a friendly and supportive environment. We pride ourselves on the quality of our work, our ability to influence scheme design for the benefit of biodiversity and society, and enjoy working closely with our clients’ design teams.
Our company character, investment in people and focus on business responsibility has seen continual annual growth, the past year being no different with staff numbers and turnover both increasing. Our diverse and expanding client base brings new and interesting projects including ecological masterplanning, preparing best practice guidance, stakeholder engagement and ecological research and development. We compete and succeed at all levels of the market, from managing the smallest local development to acting as lead consultants on nationally significant infrastructure projects.
We encourage continuing personal development and career progression and have invested heavily in our new employee-led, development, up-skilling and mentoring programme – The Orchard, which provides staff with a roadmap for professional progression. The programme aims to enhance employee’s work and personal skills through a diverse range of structured opportunities, including e-learning, job sharing and shadowing, volunteering, training, and conferences and seminars; as well as ensuring that the services we provide remain of the highest industry standard.
The Ecology Consultancy and its staff also benefit from strong relationships with our sister companies Temple, specialists in EIA, noise, air, sustainability and planning; Arbeco, specialists in arboriculture and landscape services and management; and the Green Infrastructure Consultancy, specialists in strategy, planning, audits, policy, guidance and design of green infrastructure. These companies are part of Temple Group Management (TGM).
Due to internal restructuring The Ecology Consultancy is looking to appoint a Strategic Bid Manager to play a key role in TEC’s growth and expansion. The Strategic Bid Manager will work with TEC’s Directors and Leadership Team to develop a business development strategy for the company and ensure its delivery. This is a great opportunity to join an exciting, fast growing business and position yourself for excellent opportunities for career growth.
The role will focus on opportunities nationwide and include the development and management of a team in the London office as well as working closely with the BD representatives in the TEC’s regional offices. You will work to secure new business opportunities; develop and nurture client relationships and ensure the successful delivery of PQQs, ITTs and framework applications. You will work closely with TGM’s BD team on joint bids; as well as investigating opportunities for service diversification and increasing company revenue and contributing to its continual growth.
We are looking for an approachable, proactive and well organised team player with a successful track record in business development, excellent attention to detail, creativity, strong IT skills and with high expectations for delivery. The successful candidate must be able to work under pressure, prioritise tasks, manage their own workload and lead and develop a small team. Experience within the environmental and/or construction industry is expected including established contacts.
- Working with TEC’s Leadership Team, Associate Directors and existing BD team to progress the Business Development strategy and drive its success
- Identifying and developing new business opportunities in line with the TEC’s Business Plan
- Seeking opportunities for the diversification and improvement of TEC services
- Carrying out detailed market research and producing analytical reports for review by TEC’s Leadership Team and Associate Directors
- Responsibility for developing and managing a bid team
- Managing the bid process from the identification of opportunities to the completion of compelling and timely tender submissions (PQQs, Frameworks, ITT, Approved Supplier Applications, and subsequent negotiations)
- Ensure that all activity is captured and regularly maintained on TEC’s CRM database equivalent TIN
- Development and management of content, resources and systems that aid the bid process, for example case studies and testimonials
- Providing support to the business development leads across TEC’s regional offices
- Developing and delivering training to key staff across TEC to ensure a consistent approach to bids
- Working in collaboration with TEC’s Integrated Management System manager to improve company-wide processes and provide evidence for tenders and PQQs
- Working closely with the existing BD team to maintain and enhance customer relationships
- Presenting TEC’s services and initiatives to new, potential and existing clients including supporting TECs staff providing CPDs
- Working closely with the TEC’s marketing team
- Attending exhibitions, conferences and events and following up leads
- Liaising closely with the business development, marketing and communications staff across all TGM companies
- Successfully acquit SMART targets set annually by TEC’s Leadership Team and Associate Directors in line with our business plan.
Essential skills and aptitudes
- Be an approachable and pleasant person
- Ability to create momentum and energise others
- Proven experience and successful track record in Business Development
- Able to think strategically and make effective use of time and budget to deliver significant returns that will help to shape TEC’s development in the medium to long term
- Able to effectively market TEC’s skills and services verbally and in writing with existing and potential clients including those not familiar with TEC, at the senior level, and able to form lasting business relationships
- Proven commercial awareness
- Proven writing and editing skills
- Ability to communicate well on all levels both with colleagues and clients
- Ability to work with staff members at all levels of the business
- Ability to quickly establish collaborative working relationships
- Well organised and productive with strong attention to detail and ability to work to tight deadlines
- Ability to work independently and take accountability for own performance
- Ability to prioritise own work and that of team
- Ability to organise information and develop systems
- Good working knowledge of MS Office (particularly Excel and Word)
Desirable skills and aptitudes
- An overview of the market for ecological consultancy in various sectors including housing, energy and infrastructure.
- Interest, knowledge and experience of ecology, environmental science or similar
What do we offer?
- Salary ranging from £30,000.00 to £40,000.00 depending on skills and experience and based on a 40 hour week
- 25 days holiday plus public holidays
- Pension scheme
- Structured development and investment in training
- Flexible working
- Phone, laptop etc.
- Socials, games nights, and volunteering days through our staff engagement and development initiative
- A fun and relaxed working culture and office environment overlooking the River Thames.
Please email your CV and covering letter to email@example.com by 28th January 2019.
The Ecology Consultancy aims to promote equality of opportunity, dignity and due respect for all employees and clients as is consistent with the company’s Equalities Policy.