Senior Ecologist – Wakefield, West Yorkshire
We are seeking to employ an experienced Senior Ecologist to work within our Wakefield Office. The Ecology Consultancy is one of the UK’s largest ecological consultancies with a sound reputation for delivering objective, high quality work. Established in 1999 we have grown to circa 70 permanent staff over six offices in London, East Anglia, Sussex, the Midlands, Northern England and Southern Scotland.
We are passionate about what we do and our staff enjoy working in a friendly and supportive environment with an emphasis on continuing professional development and career progression. Our staff pride themselves on the quality of their work, our ability to influence scheme design for the benefit of biodiversity and enjoy working closely with our client’s design teams.
We are seeking a confident, enthusiastic and experienced team player who has both a personal interest and professional experience in ecology as well as a desire to extend that knowledge. Under the direction of our office lead, the Senior Ecologist will be required to work independently to organised and lead surveys and survey teams. They will take control of and manage individual contracts from inception to delivery including the production of high quality ecological consultancy services. This will involve the support of staff and assistance with the development of our junior team members. The successful candidate will have responsibility for liaising with clients, other consultants and consultees; acquiring data from third parties; organising and supervising staff and sub-contractors; and writing high quality reports. The Senior Ecologist will take an active role in the general running of the office in co-operation with other staff based there and help with the marketing and promotion of the company and the maintenance of excellent client relationships.
The project based nature of our work means that there will be a requirement to undertake such travel as is necessary to successfully carry out contracts and a willingness to work antisocial hours and overnight stays where necessary.
The Senior Ecologist will need the following:
- An appropriate degree qualification.
- Associate or full membership of the CIEEM, minimum of seven years employment in consultancy or other relevant work.
- Demonstrable experience in design, management and undertaking of field surveys covering a range of taxa, including Phase 1 and protected species (e.g. bats, GCN, badger, water vole, otter)
- Excellent report writing skills for a range of projects across a range of sectors.
- Demonstrate expertise in colleague, client, and stakeholder liaison/engagement.
- A proven ability to prepare tenders/ fee proposals and ability to contribute towards business development, expansion of client base and resource management
- Excellent practical knowledge of UK and relevant European environmental legislation, policy and relevant industry standards including BS42020.
- Demonstrable experience in mitigation methodologies and in Ecological Impact Assessment.
- Bat survey licence (class 2), or to be close to attaining this, and be competent at Preliminary Roost Assessments, emergence / re-entry surveys, activity transects and advising on mitigation.
- Full clean UK driving licence.
- Botanical identification skills to equivalent of FISC level 3/4 or higher www.bsbi.org.uk/Botanical_Skills_Pyramid.pdf.
- Experience of ecological clerk of works role, including production of post-planning documents including ECOP and ecological elements of CEMP or LEMP documents, and their delivery.
- CSCS card and health and first Aid certificate.
- Bat sound analysis skills;
- Experience with drafting protected species licensing documents.
- Survey/handling licences for a further species such as great crested newt, dormouse, barn owl and white clawed-crayfish.
- Demonstrable expertise in the survey of and mitigation for at least one of the following: bats, badger, birds, great crested newt, reptiles, otter or water vole.
What do we offer?
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience;
- 25 days holiday plus public holidays (pro rata for length of service);
- Staff support/mentoring;
- Annual training budget;
- Flexitime and TOIL: and
- Pension scheme.
The duties described in this job description must be carried out in a manner which promotes equality of opportunity, dignity and due respect for all employees and clients and is consistent with the company’s Equalities Policy.
The Ecology Consultancy aims to promote equality of opportunity, dignity and due respect for all employees and clients as is consistent with the company’s Equalities Policy.
How to Apply
If you would like to apply for this Senior Ecologist job vacancy then applications (Your CV and a covering letter) must be received by 15th December and emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org or posted to The Ecology Consultancy, Trinity Walk, Unit G37b Market Walk Wakefield, West Yorkshire WF1 1QR.