The Ecology Consultancy is seeking an experienced Senior Ecologist to join our newly expanded team based near Lewes in East Sussex. The Senior Ecologist’s work will center on the Project Management and successful delivery of surveys, impact assessments and mitigation for legally protected species. They will be required to carry out surveys and manage individual contracts so as to deliver high quality ecological consultancy services within the budget and to deadline. This will involve: liaising with clients, consultants and consultees, acquiring data from third parties; organizing and supervising staff and sub-contractors as well as preparing maps and writing and reviewing high quality reports. They will also have responsibility for the general running of the office and business development in co-operation with other staff and to help with the marketing and promotion of the company.
We are looking for a confident, experienced and positive-minded team player who can lead, work on their own initiative, maintain excellent client relationships and help to bring in new and repeat business. The Senior Ecologist will have excellent ecological skills in addition to the ability to communicate clearly to colleagues, clients and other third parties.
The project-based nature of our work means that there will be a requirement to undertake such travel as is necessary. This will include overnight stays and possibly longer periods of working away from home.
In addition, and in line with career objectives and role within the company, the job will involve promoting The Ecology Consultancy and conducting routine office administrative duties. The role will include line management responsibility for up to three junior colleagues. Senior Ecologists are also expected to keep abreast of current best practice in the field and maintain a CPD (Continuing Professional Development) plan and record.
Essential skills and aptitudes
The successful candidate will have:
- a relevant degree qualification;
- a minimum of 5 years’ experience in ecological consultancy or related work;
- a full CIEEM membership
- excellent fieldwork and report writing skills including; protected species surveys, EPSM applications ES chapters and ecological management plans
- the ability to critically review their own work as well as a minimum of 2 years’ experience of reviewing others’ work
- experience in surveying of and mitigation for one or more of the following key protected species; bats, badgers, birds, dormice, great crested newts, reptiles and water voles
- an EPS and /or conservation licence for one or more of the above species groups
- an in-depth knowledge of the application of UK and relevant European environmental legislation and policy
- an up to date knowledge of, and a familiarity with, survey guidance for a range of protected species
- proven project and staff management experience
- the ability to respond promptly and professionally to clients with advice and consultation from colleagues if required
- evidence of effective relationships with a number of important clients, offering advice and guidance
- a proven ability to manage their own workload, be proactive in managing projects and to delegate to and provide support to Ecologists as appropriate
- proficiency in customer service and the ability to deliver and lead training events and workshops, both internally to The Ecology Consultancy and externally to clients and other stakeholders
- a personable attitude and experience of working as a team player
- a full clean UK driving licence.
Desirable skills and aptitudes
- Level 2 survey license for bats and/or other species
- experience in ECOP, CEMP, LEMP and the application of BS42020
- a valid Construction Skills Certificate Scheme (CSCS) card;
The Ecology Consultancy
The Ecology Consultancy was established in 1999 and is now one of the largest dedicated consultancies managed by ecologists in the country. Along with Arbeco, our sister company who share our recently converted offices, offering arboricultural consultancy and habitat management services, and the environmental consultancy Temple we form part of Temple Group. We are passionate about what we do and enjoy working closely with our clients’ design teams. We pride ourselves on the quality of our work and our ability to influence scheme design for the benefit of biodiversity.
We strive to create a friendly and supportive working environment and assist staff in their career progression.
What do we offer?
- salary on a scale commensurate with experience from £27,250 to £34,550;
- 25 days annual leave;
- friendly, spacious and well-situated office at the foot of the South Downs, just outside Lewes;
- structured and generous bespoke career development and training budget;
- flexitime, flexible location working, working from home and Time Off in Lieu;
- socials, games nights and volunteering days through our staff engagement and development initiative;
- auto enrolment pension scheme (after 3 months’ service).
To apply for this position, please email your CV and a covering letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline for applications is Friday 15th March 2019.