As a dynamic and growing business, we are searching for self-motivated and positive-minded Ecologists to join our friendly team in on of our regional offices. The successful candidates will be involved in all areas of our work, supporting clients in a vast range of different sectors. Responsibilities include carrying out habitat and protected species surveys, advising clients of constraints and survey requirements, and establishing opportunities for biodiversity enhancements.
Depending on experience, this position could provide a great opportunity to learn how to lead and deliver individual projects from start to finish, manage sub-contractors and junior staff and write effective technical reports. Due to the culture of the company you would also be encouraged to further your CPD and would be given a chance to learn from more experienced colleagues who are experts in their field and can provide valuable mentoring.
Although you’ll be based in one of our well-appointed offices across the UK, the project-based nature of our work means that there will be a requirement for travel, overnight stays and possibly longer periods of working away from home necessary to complete the contract.
To be considered for this role, you will have:
- A relevant degree qualification;
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience in ecological consultancy or related work;
- Excellent fieldwork skills with experience of a range of fauna and flora survey methods;
- Excellent knowledge of relevant UK and European environmental legislation;
- At least one Natural England protected species licence (or be working towards);
- At least Associate membership of Chartered Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management (CIEEM), or be eligible;
- A valid Construction Skills Certificate Scheme (CSCS) card;
- The ability to plan, coordinate and lead surveys, often with quickly changing schedules;
- Experience of managing projects to deadlines and budget;
- Willingness to work outside normal office hours as required;
- The ability to use own initiative and be proactive;
- The will to take on other duties or administrative tasks as required;
- A full clean UK driving licence;
- Eligibility to work in the UK.
Preferably, you will also have:
- Experience in using a range of bat detectors and ability to analyse sonograms accurately;
- Experience in planning and advising on mitigation for at least one protected species;
- Experience in writing European Protected Species Mitigation licence applications;
- Experience in preliminary ecological appraisals and Phase 1 surveys;
- Experience in using a range of bat detectors and sonogram analysis;
- Experience in Ecological Clerk of Works;
- Experience in preparing BREEAM Assessments.
The Ecology Consultancy
Founded in 1999, The Ecology Consultancy has over 100 employees and is now one of the largest dedicated consultancies run by ecologists in the country. Along with Arbeco, our sister company offering arboricultural consultancy and habitat management services, and the environmental consultancy Temple, we form part of the Temple Group of companies.
The company is defined by our unique culture – one that puts people at the core of everything we do. We strive to create a friendly and supportive working environment, encouraging staff to take advantage of every opportunity for professional development and assisting them in their career progression. Joining the Ecology Consultancy is a chance to be part of close-knit, fun, openminded and driven team that really cares about what they do and prides itself on the quality of their work.
What’s in it for you?
- Competitive salary on a scale commensurate with experience (plus £2,000 for London Weighting if applicable);
- TOIL (time off in lieu) policy and flexible approach to working hours to ensure a healthy work-life balance;
- 25 days annual leave, plus bank holidays;
- Opportunities for career development and training;
- Auto enrolment pension scheme (after 3 months’ service);
- Cycle to work scheme;
- Socials, games nights and volunteering days through our staff engagement and development initiative;
- Fun, friendly, and forward-thinking coworkers;
- A dog-friendly office
If this is the role for you: Please apply by emailing your CV and a covering letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing date for applications: 10/03/2020.