The Ecology Consultancy is seeking an experienced Ecologist to join our newly expanded team based near Lewes in East Sussex. The Ecologist will be involved in all areas of our work including habitat and species surveying, preliminary ecological appraisals, mitigation works and the production of European Protected Species Mitigation licence applications, Ecological Impact Assessment and BREEAM assessments. We work on a very wide range of projects from major infrastructure projects to single dwellings and with clients from all sectors. Surveys are primarily for protected species notably bats, great crested newts, badgers, otter, water vole, birds and reptiles.
Depending on experience, the Ecologist will be required to manage individual contracts delivering high quality ecological consultancy services within budget and deadlines. This may involve liaising with clients, other consultants and consultees; acquiring data from third parties; organising and supervising other staff members and sub-contractors; preparing maps, writing and editing reports, assisting in bid proposals and undertaking data quality assurance.
The project-based nature of our work means that there will be a requirement to undertake such travel as is necessary. This will include overnight stays and possibly longer periods of working away from home.
In addition, and in line with career objectives and role within the company, the job will involve promoting The Ecology Consultancy and conducting routine office administrative duties. The role is likely to include line management responsibility for up to two junior colleagues. Ecologists are also expected to keep abreast of current best practice in the field and maintain a CPD (Continuing Professional Development) plan and record.
Essential skills and aptitudes
The successful candidate will have:
- a relevant degree qualification;
- a minimum of 3 years’ experience in ecological consultancy or related work;
- excellent fieldwork skills with experience of a range of fauna and flora survey methods;
- excellent knowledge of relevant UK and European environmental legislation;
- hold (or be working towards) at least one Natural England protected species licence;
- at least Associate membership of Chartered Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management (CIEEM), or be eligible;
- ability to plan, co-ordinate and lead surveys, often with quickly changing schedules;
- experience of managing projects to deadlines and budget;
- willingness to work outside normal office hours as required;
- ability to use own initiative and be proactive;
- a full clean UK driving licence.
Desirable skills and aptitudes
- experience using a range of bat detectors and able to analyse sonograms accurately;
- experience in planning and advising on mitigation for at least one protected species;
- experience of writing European Protected Species Mitigation licence applications;
- experience in preliminary ecological appraisals and Phase 1 surveys;
- experience at using a range of bat detectors and sonogram analysis;
- a valid Construction Skills Certificate Scheme (CSCS) card;
- experience in Ecological Clerk of Works.
The Ecology Consultancy
The Ecology Consultancy was established in 1999 and is now one of the largest dedicated consultancies managed by ecologists in the country. Along with Arbeco, our sister company who share our recently converted offices, offering arboricultural consultancy and habitat management services, and the environmental consultancy Temple we form part of Temple Group. We are passionate about what we do and enjoy working closely with our clients’ design teams. We pride ourselves on the quality of our work and our ability to influence scheme design for the benefit of biodiversity.
We strive to create a friendly and supportive working environment and assist staff in their career progression.
What do we offer?
- salary on a scale commensurate with experience from £20,680 to £26,300;
- 25 days annual leave;
- friendly, spacious and well-situated office at the foot of the South Downs, just outside Lewes;
- structured and generous bespoke career development and training budget;
- flexitime, flexible location working, working from home and Time Off in Lieu;
- socials, games nights and volunteering days through our staff engagement and development initiative;
- auto enrolment pension scheme (after 3 months’ service).
To apply for this position, please email your CV and a covering letter to: email@example.com.
Deadline for applications is Friday 15th March 2019.