The Ecology Consultancy was established in 1999 and is now one of the largest independent consultancies owned and run by ecologists in the country. We are passionate about what we do and our staff enjoy working in a friendly and supportive environment. We pride ourselves on the quality of our work, our ability to influence scheme design for the benefit of biodiversity and enjoy working closely with our clients’ design teams.
In September 2018, The Ecology Consultancy was joined by Arbeco and now offers both ecological and arboricultural consultancy as well as habitat management services and with the environmental consultancy Temple the companies form part of Temple Group Management (TGM).
We have developed a sound reputation for delivering objective, high quality work to clients in the private, public and voluntary sectors. Our principal areas of work are habitat and protected species surveys, watching brief and Ecological Clerk of Works, Ecological Impact Assessment, and Code for Sustainable Homes and BREEAM assessments, as well as providing training and advice, on a wide range of projects from major infrastructure projects such as HS2 to single dwellings and barn conversions.
We are passionate about what we do and strive to create friendly and supportive working environment and are developing a structured programme to assist staff in their career progression.
We have an exciting opportunity for a self-motivated Arboricultural Consultant to assist with and carry out Arboricultural surveys and reports. The post will be based in either our London or Lewes offices. The project-based nature of our work means that there will also be a requirement to undertake such travel as is necessary to successfully carry out contracts.
The Arboriculturalist will be involved in all areas of tree survey work, including
- Undertaking BS 5837 and Tree Condition surveys and reports;
- Fee quote preparation and management of cost control;
- Participate in marketing and developing the Arboricultural services offered to new and existing clients;
- Other projects as required including bat surveys, collection of data, and reporting; and
- Providing support to The Ecology Consultancy management team.
Essential skills and aptitudes
- Have a degree or minimum Level 3 Arboricultural qualification i.e. HNC Arb, AA Tech Cert, NDip Arb;
- Minimum 2 years undertaking tree surveys to BS 5837:2012 standards;
- Confident in planning and managing your own portfolio of work;
- Delivering comprehensive Arboricultural reports within tight timeframes to meet the clients requirements;
- Strong IT skills including MS Office, General database systems and GIS data collection;
- Have a full clean UK driving licence; and
- Good data & report writing skills.
Desirable skills and aptitudes
- Working knowledge of the planning system in relation to trees & BS 5837: 2012 ‘Trees in relation to design, demolition and construction-Recommendations;
- LANTRA Professional Tree Inspection Certificate (PTI);
- NPTC CS38 Climbing Trees and Aerial Rescue Certificate;
- Ability to undertake aerial tree inspections and bat surveys;
- Ability to produce basic maps and plans using autocad, arcview GIS or similar;
- Timber mensuration and woodland valuation knowledge and experience; and
- Associate Membership of The Arboricultural Association
What do we offer?
- Permanent or c.6 month fixed term
- Starting salary from £22,680 (inclusive of London weighting) based on 40 hrs/week
- 25 days holiday plus public holidays (pro rata for length of service)
- Access to our structured career development programme The Orchard and generous training budget
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Contributory pension scheme.
- Flexible working
- Dog friendly offices
Applications (your CV and a covering letter) must be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Ecology Consultancy aims to promote equality of opportunity, dignity and due respect for all employees and clients as is consistent with the company’s Equalities Policy.